Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

If an U.S. citizen has a child overseas, he or she should report the birth to the Consular Section and apply for a consular report of birth abroad to a U.S. citizen. 


Quick Tips

Commonly forgotten documents:

* Evidence that US Citizen parent has been physically present in the United States for the required period (usually 5 years) prior to child's birth. The following documents are examples of evidence of physical presence: old passports, tax records, school records (transcripts and/or diplomas), employment records, utility bills, bank statements, military records.

* Correct size photo for the child; 2x2 inch

* Official government issued Ghanaian Birth Certificate for the child

Reminder: Do not send CRBA applications and supporting documents directly to the Embassy. All documents should be presented in person by parent(s) or an authorized family member.

Go here for important information on forms, fees and other required documentation.

Hours of Operation

  • Passport services (including additional pages), notarial services, federal benefits services and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for American citizens born in Ghana: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Closed on holidays. All services are by appointment only.
    Emergency services related to the serious illness or injury, death, or arrest of an American citizen: Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Friday 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m