Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Appointments and Fees

Document Checklist

On the day of the formal visa interview all applicants for immigrant, fiancé(e), Kii and V visas, including children and babies, will be required to present the following documents where applicable.  All documents, except passports and photographs, must be submitted in single copy, with the original document or certified copy bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.  If only the original of the birth, marriage and/or other certificates is available, the applicant may submit one photocopy thereof but must bring the original(s) with him/her to the interview for inspection by the consular officer.

NOTE: These documents must not be mailed to the Embassy.  You will be required to furnish the documents on the day of your visa interview.

  • Passports - endorsed by the issuing authority for travel to the United States and valid for at least six (6) months beyond the issuance date of the visa.  Children may be included on a parent's passport, but if over the age of 16, they must have their photographs attached to the passport.
  • Birth Certificates - Once certified copy of the birth certificate of each person named in the application is required.  Birth records must be presented for all unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they do not wish to immigrate at this time.  (If children are deceased, so state giving year of death.)  The certificate must contain the person's date and place of birth and names of both parents.  It must be annotated by the appropriate authority indicating that is an extract from the official records.  If you or any children were adopted, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree. 
  • Unobtainable Birth Certificates – In rare cases, it may be impossible to obtain a birth certificate because records have been destroyed or the government will not issue one.  In such cases, you should obtain a statement to that effect from the civil registrar’s office and proceed to obtain secondary evidence of birth.  A baptismal certificate may be submitted for consideration provided it contains the date and place of the applicant’s birth and information concerning parentage and provided the baptism took place shortly after birth.  Should a baptismal certificate be unobtainable, a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, should prepare a notarized statement giving the place and date of the applicant’s birth, the names of both parents, and the maiden name of the mother.  The statement must be executed before an official authorized to administer oaths or affirmations.  In such cases, please bring any secondary evidence you might have concerning your birth. 
  • Police Certificates – Police certificates are required for each visa application aged 16 years or older.  A separate certificate is required from the police of each country in which the applicant has lived for twelve months or more after the age of 16; the period is six months if country of birth or current nationality.  This certificate must cover the entire period of the applicant's residence in that area or country and state what the appropriate police authorities’ records show concerning each applicant including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record. 
  • Adoption Certificate - if applicable, showing date and place of adoption, along with the names of the adoptive parents.  This certificate must be issued by a public authority and show that a public record exists for the adoption.
  • Deed Poll - or other legal evidence if applicable, showing applicant's change of name (except by marriage).
  • Marriage Certificate - the original or certified copy bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority for each of the applicant's marriages.
  • Termination of Prior Marriages - applicants who has been previously married must obtain evidence of the termination of each prior marriage such as final divorce decree, death certificate or annulment. Evidence must be in the form of the original document issued by a competent authority, or a certified copy bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority.
  • Court and Prison Records - If the applicant has been convicted of any crime in any country, a copy of the court record of each conviction is required, even if the applicant has subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency or Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.  This is in addition to the police certificate requirement.
  • Military Record - One certified copy of any military record should be obtained covering periods spent in military service, including wartime or national service.
  • Evidence of Support - Any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States.  The enclosed information sheet, Optional Form 167, lists evidence which may be presented to meet this requirement of the law.  Form I-134 should be used when an affidavit of support is to be submitted.
  • Translations - All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified translations into English.  Translations must be in single copy and certified by a qualified independent translator that the translation is accurate, and sworn to before a Notary Public.
  • Custody Decree - If the applicant is applying for a visa for a child or children by a previous marriage and if a court has previously restricted the applicant's custody of these children, he/she should present proof that the applicant has been awarded custody by the court for the children and that they may be taken out of the United Kingdom.
  • Original Documents – If you are the beneficiary of a family-based immigrant visa petition, you must be prepared to present the originals of all civil documents which establish your claimed relationship to the petitioner.

Appointments and Fees