The Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our overseas passport and visa systems. This issue is not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working urgently to correct the problem and restore full operability.
Passport applications accepted overseas or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay. If you applied for a U.S. passport overseas during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at which you originally applied.
Please immediately report a lost or stolen passport to the Consular Section. Processing of emergency travel documents can begin the next business day. For routine passport renewals you may apply through the American Citizen Services office. Please allow at least three weeks.
Commonly forgotten documents:
* Original Birth Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for the minor child
* Correct size photo; 2x2 inch
* Consent from the absent parent(s) for the passport issuance (DS3053). The consent should be signed in front of the notary. Copy of the ID presented to the notary should be attached to the consent.
* Original, notarized Power of Attorney authorizing third party to sign passport application on behalf of the parent(s).
* Photos over time for all children who received their first US passport under the age of 5.
Go here for important information on forms, fees and other required documentation.
Hours of Operation
Passport services (including additional pages), notarial services, federal benefits services and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for American citizens born in Ghana: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Closed on holidays. All services are by appointment only.
Emergency services related to the serious illness or injury, death, or arrest of an American citizen: Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Friday 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.