Due to a consular systems upgrade, consular operations at the U.S. Embassy Accra will be closed to the public on Friday, October 9. For any emergency travel, please look at the instructions on requesting an emergency appointment here (http://ghana.usembassy.gov/emergency.html), or contact us directly at +233-30-274-1000. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Visa System Issues
The Bureau of Consular Affairs is in the process of resolving technical problems with our visa systems. Biometric data is not yet processing properly to allow embassies and consulates to perform security checks required to issue visas.
More than 100 experts across the country are working on this problem 24/7. We are pursuing a variety of solutions. This week, nearly 750 temporary or seasonal workers who had been issued visas in the past were issued new visas in Mexico, and we have issued another 1,500 visas globally for urgent and humanitarian travel. We continue to look for ways to facilitate travel as we work to restore the systems to full functionality.
We deeply regret the inconvenience to travelers and recognize the hardship to those waiting for visas, and in some cases, their family members or employers in the United States.
Welcome to the Nonimmigrant Visa (NIV) and Immigrant Visa (IV) Sections of the U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana!
Interest in travel to America continues to grow. We look forward to welcoming qualified visitors to our country for tourism, business, study, cultural and other purposes. As you plan for your trip to the United States, we encourage you to plan ahead to allow us enough time to process your visa before your trip. We recommend that travelers begin the visa application process by scheduling an appointment as early as possible. This will ensure that we have plenty of time to conduct your interview, review your application, and determine whether we can issue a visa. Thank you for your cooperation, and for your interest in visiting our country.
Below, please find visa services that we provide, as well as useful information:
- Nonimmigrant Visas (NIV) - Temporary visits for pleasure, exchange programs, study and temporary employment.
- Information on current NIV appointment wait times.
- Immigrant Visas (IV) - Permanent residency to work or live in the U.S., including permanent employment, marriage to an American citizen and adoptions.
- Visa Inquiries - How to get general visa information and help with case-specific nonimmigrant and immigrant visa inquiries.
- Visa Waiver Program (VWP) - Information on who can use the Visa Waiver Program for visa-free short-term travel to the United States.
- Customer Service Statement to our applicants – Our commitment to providing courteous customer service.
More information is available on the following websites:
- Official Travel Information – U.S. Department of State
- Official Visa Information – U.S. Department of State
- Fraud Warning for Diversity Visa Lottery Program
- Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- DHS - Travel Redress Inquiry Program (TRIP)
- DHS - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- DHS - U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
- DHS - U.S. CBP Form 1-94, I-94W Instructions
- DHS - U.S. VISIT (Security measures)
- DHS - USCIS Online Case Status
- Lost and Stolen Passports, Visas and Form I-94’s
- Safety & Security of U.S. Borders
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- U.S. Department of State
- General U.S. Government Info